This past year, I started working on moving and grouping the different flowering plants in our yard. I moved some white irises, canna lilies, asiatic lilies, gladioli, and added some tulips and daffodils to the right side of the hill in the back yard. The irises have bloomed, as well as the new daffodils. The tiny tulips bloomed already, and I thought I had taken a picture, but I guess not.
The asiatic lilies survived the move and have started coming back up.
The Scabiosas ‘Butterfly Blue’ never died back in the winter, and it looks like it will start blooming soon.
The Georgia Blue Speedwell has taken off this year. I’ve really enjoyed watching it work its magic over the side of the retaining walls.
I am waiting to see if the Cannas and Gladioli survived the move this year. Thankfully, the Japanese Barberry – all 8 of them – have put new leaves out after their move from the front yard to the backyard hill.
The drift roses survived their first winter and have fresh new leaves as well. I also saw a few leaves at the bases of two of the mophead hydrangeas I transplanted in the fall, so I guess they are going to make it as well – and I hope they will be happier with a little shade from the Dogwood tree.
The garlic has gotten really tall – I counted 45 plants! I think everyone I know is getting some garlic this year.
My newest additions to the hill in the back yard went in front of the Dogwood tree. I purchased a few plants that were on a list of butterfly/hummingbird attractors. In front I put Lobelia – it was labeled as a spiller. In the middle, I put a Fox glove, then out from there I put in Columbines and Bee Balms. They look kind of puny right now, but I tried to space them for their projected average sizes.