Category Archives: My Projects

Red Office Accents

After compiling a small collage of red office accents that would look really cute on my desk at work, but some of which was pricier than I would ever spring for, I came across a great little knock-off version of the accordion file collator.  Target’s Room Essentials brand is carrying one very similar but in a dull gray color for only $10.99.

I think it is only half the size of the collator from Anthropologie that was my inspiration, but that doesn’t bother me.  I took it home and coated it with a few layers of red spray paint.  Now it is in my office at work with the other red accessories I’ve collected over time.

Before:
Collator before

Red Collator

red desk accessories

Wedding Day Emergency Kits

As part of my recent gifts to two engaged couples, I put together his and hers wedding day emergency kits.  I found the small burlap bags at Hobby Lobby.  I used letter stamps, also from Hobby Lobby, and black acrylic paint to print ‘Mr’ and ‘Mrs’ on the bags.

Inside the Mr bags, I included a comb, mints, floss, breath drops, a Shout wipe, a hand-sanitizing wipe, tissues, Wisp toothbrushes, chapstick, Static Guard, a single-use shoe polisher, matches, bandaids, and Ibuprofen.  The Mrs bags included a sewing kit, super glue, floss, a Wisp toothbrush, a packet of anti-stress drink mix, tissues, a makeup-remover wipe, a hand-sanitizing wipe, a nail polish remover wipe, a Shout wipe, lint remover sheets, bandaids, an emery board, feminine hygiene items, eye drops, bobby pins, corsage pins, and safety pins.

Football Season DIY

We are so excited at our house that football season is starting back up!  With a nice deep front porch at the new house, I am looking forward to having a wreath up year-round, without worrying about them weathering or fading.  I made a red and black wreath this weekend to kick off our UGA bulldog season.  I used this burlap ribbon wreath tutorial as a guide.  This wreath on etsy was my inspiration for color and style.  For making the bow, I used this tutorial.

I found the burlap ribbon and houndstooth burlap wired ribbon for the bow at Hobby Lobby.  They were having a 50% off sale, so I got the wire wreath and ribbon for $22 (I already had floral wire).  The Georgia ‘G’ was a Christmas ornament I picked up last year, so I don’t remember the cost for that.  It is hot-glued to the center of the bow.

Bradley loves the wreath, and I’m still a little on the fence.  I think it seems little frumpy to me(?)  Either way, it was not difficult to make and took me only a couple of hours from start to finish.  Go Dawgs!

Update:

To answer a question about making this wreath with two colors of burlap ribbon, I will try to explain my process.  I didn’t take any pictures while I was making it, because the tutorial I linked to has great pictures showing the process.  I started with the red ribbon and made a loop on each of the two outer wires of the wreath form.  Then I started the black ribbon the same way, but from the two inner wires of the wreath form.  The third loop I made using the red ribbon was attached to the same wire as the second loop I made using the black ribbon, which in effect crossed over the black ribbon.  Then I made a third loop in the black ribbon and attached it to the wire that the second red loop was attached to, so that I got an even distribution of color across the wreath.  I took a close-up picture of the back of the wreath to hopefully help show the attachment of the ribbon on each wire.

And with arrows showing one section of cross-over:

Staging the Mantle

One of my least favorite things to do around the house is staging shelves – bookshelves, mantles, kitchen cabinets/counters.  I am drawn to a lot of inspiration for this type of staging, but in my own home it always feels disingenuous or sometimes cluttered to me.  We have one fireplace and the mantle is quite large.  I started by finding some inspiration pictures online and then shopping my stash of decor sitting in the basement.  Some of the inspiration I found can be seen here and here – pairing overlapping frames with glass and natural elements, and here – oversized blue glass jars.

I pulled in a couple of Ribba frames for a layered effect, then added a couple of ‘mercury glass’ items.  The ‘hello’ sign was a GroopDealz find.  Bradley saved some aesthetically pleasing branches during a recent yard cleanup, so I popped a few pieces into the hurricane vase to fill everything out.  It’s much better than it was (meaning I had just set a few things up there as we were moving in), but I still don’t know how I feel about it.

Deck Gate

After five months of our temporary ‘deck gate’ – really just a portion of Buddy’s playpen – I decided to find a more permanent solution.  I searched a general price range for having a gate built, and it seems like it would be in the $300-$500 range.  That isn’t in the budget right now, and I am a light-weight handyman so it isn’t something I’m going to try myself.

Instead, I measured the opening at the stairs leading to the driveway and checked walk-through gates on Amazon.  Most gates were not wide enough without buying additional pieces.  I found this one that is just wide enough and at less than $40, it seemed like a great option.  It came with templates for screw placement on both sides, so it was just a matter of lining it up, drilling and having the pieces turned the correct way.  I don’t think I got it lined up and adjusted perfectly, but it’s good enough because we don’t use these stairs very often at all.  It’s not my ideal solution, but it is leaps and bounds better than the before:

On a side note, I also got the deck washed and stained a couple of weekends ago.  We chose Sherwin Williams Deckscapes Semi-transparent stain in Cedar Toner.  Not a huge change in color, but it definitely warmed the wood up a lot.