Bradley installed a new light over the kitchen sink for me. While he was at it, he wired some under-cabinet lighting into the same switch. We have really missed the under-cabinet lighting that we had at our old house for the past three years living here.
I don’t have a before picture, but the light over the sink was an ugly florescent tube light that was attached to a board behind a faux cabinet panel. The faux panel is still there – it gives a nice connected look to the cabinetry – but we now have a pendant light hanging down from behind it. It is exactly what I imagined for the space.
I’ve also been working on painting the downstairs a warm grey (SW Requisite Grey at 75%). The color left by the previous owner (Behr’s Gobi Desert) was too gold with a red undertone and looked really bad with my new dining room chairs. Our next project for this kitchen will be adding a backsplash.
For comparison, here is a side-by-side before and after shot:
I finally found two great little petite chairs for the front of our living room. I’ve been searching for a pair of Lewittes caned wingback chairs for over a year, but not having much luck. I had a saved Craigslist search and these popped up in the next town over, so I decided to go for it.
The burgundy fabric was not going to work for me and the padding was a little flat, so I decided to try having something reupholstered for the first time. The recovering of the chairs cost seven times what the chairs themselves cost, but I am so pleased with how they turned out. The upholsterer added padding to the seat and back cushions, and even made the back of the seat cushions follow the curve of the back of the chairs.
I chose a fabric by Richloom – Olson Cement. It is a nice putty color in a subtle herringbone pattern.
I love the caning, and with a little Restor-A-Finish on the wood, I think they will clean up really nicely. The size is perfect for under the front windows in the living room and they don’t block traffic in and out of the room. The best thing about them is they are good short-people chairs. I (at 5’3″) can sit all the way back in the chair and the front of the seat hits the back of my knees with my feet flat on the floor.
For my birthday, Bradley bought me new dining room chairs. We purchased our current dining room table and chairs second-hand when we moved into our first house. They are very solid, but the chairs are not comfortable for guests to sit and visit after the meal is over. I’ve had my eye on this type of upholstered chairs for years now – they are just quite pricey. I happened upon a deal at Home Decorators and sent it to Bradley. He jumped on the site and bought me six immediately, for at least half the price I’d seen them in the past. The finish on the legs is darker than our table, but it doesn’t bother me at all. I’m just glad to offer comfortable seating to our dinner guests!
Over the past two weeks, I have been slowly working on changing the paint color of the shutters on our house. The previous owner had the door and shutters painted hunter green. They also painted the siding and trim the same uniform tan color, which I hope to address at some point. Right after we moved in, I tackled the front door with a can of Sherwin Williams Resilience paint color-matched to Burning Bush by Olympic.
Before the Before:
Now – two years later – it was time to address the shutters. I chose December’s Eve by Behr – color-matched at Sherwin Williams. My ultimate goal is to not only add contrast between the siding and the trim, but to also paint the window sashes a midnight blue-black to really make them pop. Inspiration found here and here. Maybe in two more years…
I’ve made some big decor change-ups in the living room. And it all started with our bathroom renovation.
I was on the hunt for some art to break up the large blue wall in the bathroom when I came across this print at Pier1. I brought it home, but it was way too large for the bathroom. So we gave it a trial run over the couch. I decided I liked it there, but it didn’t go with the green accents I had going on in the room – curtain panels I had from when we moved into our first house nine years ago that looked a little washed out in the space and throw pillows in a green houndstooth and chocolate and green floral patterns.
My next step was finding new curtain panels for not a lot of money. I found these turquoise panels at Tuesday Morning for $20 per pair. They are a little long and grommet-top is not my first choice, but they do look nice in the room.
After finding the curtain panels, I knew I needed to find a way to bridge the gap between my houndstooth pillows that I love and am not ready to give up and the turquoise art and curtains. I found this fun ikat chevron print fabric at Forsyth Fabrics here in Atlanta. It has turquoise, the same green as the houndstooth, and a lime color on a cream backdrop. It was on sale, so I bought three yards and had four pillow covers made for the inserts I removed from the old throw pillows.
It feels like the room is so much more full now even though I didn’t add any furniture. I guess that is what happens when you bring in big art and rich colors. All this and I still haven’t found a piece of art for the bathroom.