Over the past two weeks, I have been slowly working on changing the paint color of the shutters on our house. The previous owner had the door and shutters painted hunter green. They also painted the siding and trim the same uniform tan color, which I hope to address at some point. Right after we moved in, I tackled the front door with a can of Sherwin Williams Resilience paint color-matched to Burning Bush by Olympic.
Before the Before:
Now – two years later – it was time to address the shutters. I chose December’s Eve by Behr – color-matched at Sherwin Williams. My ultimate goal is to not only add contrast between the siding and the trim, but to also paint the window sashes a midnight blue-black to really make them pop. Inspiration found here and here. Maybe in two more years…
I’ve made some big decor change-ups in the living room. And it all started with our bathroom renovation.
I was on the hunt for some art to break up the large blue wall in the bathroom when I came across this print at Pier1. I brought it home, but it was way too large for the bathroom. So we gave it a trial run over the couch. I decided I liked it there, but it didn’t go with the green accents I had going on in the room – curtain panels I had from when we moved into our first house nine years ago that looked a little washed out in the space and throw pillows in a green houndstooth and chocolate and green floral patterns.
My next step was finding new curtain panels for not a lot of money. I found these turquoise panels at Tuesday Morning for $20 per pair. They are a little long and grommet-top is not my first choice, but they do look nice in the room.
After finding the curtain panels, I knew I needed to find a way to bridge the gap between my houndstooth pillows that I love and am not ready to give up and the turquoise art and curtains. I found this fun ikat chevron print fabric at Forsyth Fabrics here in Atlanta. It has turquoise, the same green as the houndstooth, and a lime color on a cream backdrop. It was on sale, so I bought three yards and had four pillow covers made for the inserts I removed from the old throw pillows.
It feels like the room is so much more full now even though I didn’t add any furniture. I guess that is what happens when you bring in big art and rich colors. All this and I still haven’t found a piece of art for the bathroom.
When we first moved into our forever home, there was a Tiffany-style light in the dining room. It wasn’t my style and didn’t really match the style of the house. For an immediate solution, Bradley hung a brushed nickel five-arm chandelier that I had picked up at Goodwill. It was underwhelming and I prefer polished nickel, but the one I liked was not in the budget.
We lived with it for two years. I kept watching the chandelier I liked, but it only rose in price over time. Then a couple of weeks ago, it popped up on Joss & Main for less than I had ever seen it. I also realized that it had been discontinued at some point, so all of the vendors that stock it online would eventually not carry it anymore. So I decided to go for it. Bradley got it hung for me, and I am really happy with the style, finish and size. It is the Pembroke 6-light chandelier by Elk Lighting.
I’ve also changed out the curtains in the dining room for these turquoise panels. That is a rabbit-hole of a story that I will share when I get around to doing a post about some changes I’ve made in the living room. Here is what the dining room looked like before:
Surprisingly, two years into living here, this is my first post about our guest bathroom. It is the exact same layout as the main floor bathroom – it is even aligned exactly above the other bathroom in the floorplan. Soon after we moved in, we discovered that the drain in the tub leaked, so initially, I painted the walls and left everything else alone until we could have a plumber fix the drain. We finally got around to that back in October, and since then, I have worked on pulling the room together.
I prefer not having a separate shower curtain and liner, but the choices were slim for an extra long fabric liner, so I went with this navy striped curtain to play off the spare bedroom colors. The wall color is the same as a lot of the rest of the house – Gobi Desert by Behr color-matched at Sherwin Williams. The print hanging above the commode was a Groopdealz by Project Type. As in the master bathroom, I also used Dover White by Sherwin Williams on the vanity and added Martha Stewart finial pulls to the cabinet doors.
Renovating this bathroom is not a priority, so minor changes I would like to make in here include framing the existing mirror with moulding, adding a timer to the exhaust fan switch, and trying out a gray colored grout-shield on the large white hexagon floor tile.
Since I last posted about our spare bedroom, I have made a few modifications. After upgrading the guest bedroom to a queen-size bed, I was missing a headboard for this full-size mattress set. I found a cute wooden headboard at Goodwill last July that I painted Coral Isle by Krylon. I also switched out the frame above the bed for a tissue tassel garland from 2Berry Creative.
I also made a couple of changes to the window treatments. The PBK curtain panels had been left by the previous owner and I had put curtain rings on them so that I could hang one panel in the center of the two windows. Unfortunately that made the panels puddle a little on the floor, so I eventually broke out the drill and raised the curtain rod a little – as well as widening it, to open up the windows a little more. In December, I added roman shades to the window for a little more light control and privacy if we have someone stay in this room.