I painted the spare bedroom again. All of the inspiration I had loved for bedrooms using navy accents had white walls, but the color I used to match the trim just looked yellowed with age. I am in the process of repainting the entire main level and had purchased several test paints to find just the right color. I decided to take one of the ones that didn’t work downstairs and use it in this upstairs bedroom.
The color is by Sherwin Williams and is called Knitting Needles, but because I had test paints at 100% and 50%, I mixed them together to make a 75% color saturation. It was a little too cool of a grey for using on the main floor, but I thought it would work well in this bedroom because I am using a blue (navy) for accents. I am pleased with how it turned out – it is a neutral that brings the room to life and it’s not too dark to compete with the decor. Eventually, I would love to update the trim color in this room, but it wasn’t a priority on this day.
I also moved a spare pair of lamps into this room for the bedside. I spray painted them navy. For an entirely spare bedroom, it is coming along.
Bradley installed a new light over the kitchen sink for me. While he was at it, he wired some under-cabinet lighting into the same switch. We have really missed the under-cabinet lighting that we had at our old house for the past three years living here.
I don’t have a before picture, but the light over the sink was an ugly florescent tube light that was attached to a board behind a faux cabinet panel. The faux panel is still there – it gives a nice connected look to the cabinetry – but we now have a pendant light hanging down from behind it. It is exactly what I imagined for the space.
I’ve also been working on painting the downstairs a warm grey (SW Requisite Grey at 75%). The color left by the previous owner (Behr’s Gobi Desert) was too gold with a red undertone and looked really bad with my new dining room chairs. Our next project for this kitchen will be adding a backsplash.
For comparison, here is a side-by-side before and after shot:
I finally found two great little petite chairs for the front of our living room. I’ve been searching for a pair of Lewittes caned wingback chairs for over a year, but not having much luck. I had a saved Craigslist search and these popped up in the next town over, so I decided to go for it.
The burgundy fabric was not going to work for me and the padding was a little flat, so I decided to try having something reupholstered for the first time. The recovering of the chairs cost seven times what the chairs themselves cost, but I am so pleased with how they turned out. The upholsterer added padding to the seat and back cushions, and even made the back of the seat cushions follow the curve of the back of the chairs.
I chose a fabric by Richloom – Olson Cement. It is a nice putty color in a subtle herringbone pattern.
I love the caning, and with a little Restor-A-Finish on the wood, I think they will clean up really nicely. The size is perfect for under the front windows in the living room and they don’t block traffic in and out of the room. The best thing about them is they are good short-people chairs. I (at 5’3″) can sit all the way back in the chair and the front of the seat hits the back of my knees with my feet flat on the floor.
We have another baby on his way in the family. I helped with a baby shower to celebrate William’s pending arrival earlier this month. We took a cue from his nursery and themed it Lil’ Peanut/ Elephants. The colors were grey and light blue. My inspiration board can be found here.
We held the shower at a church. They already had wreaths on the entry doors, so I added a couple of paper fans to them.
For the gift table, I hung my blue tablecloths from a photo backdrop stand and added paper accordion balls to the top.
We served finger foods and blue punch. The menu included fruit and veggies, cheese and crackers, hot chicken salad, meatballs, ham and swiss sliders, animal crackers with funfetti dip and cupcakes topped with nutter butters. I made the garland for the table using my Silhouette to cut elephants and circles. Then I strung them on white thread (my sewing machine was acting up).
On the tables, my co-hosts added baby’s breath to blue Ball jars and tucked elephant picks in to continue the theme. Guests could also snack on peanuts that were in galvanized buckets on the tables.
The mom- and dad-to-be received a lot of great gifts for baby William!
These dipped nutter butter favors made by my co-host were absolutely adorable. The perfect finishing touch!
I only made a few changes to our Christmas decorations this year. I think the biggest impact change was to the exterior of our house. I purchased some bows for our window wreaths and it really made them pop on the house this year.
I also added a few new porch decorations. There was a vintage sled that we got from Bradley’s grandparents and a bucket with “snowballs” in it. I added two golden resin deer next to the door as well.
On our dining table, I added a simple red and white table runner that I had picked up at the end of the season last year. My thanksgiving cactus is blooming like crazy for me this year.
On the mantle, I used the Willow Tree nativity from Bradley’s grandparents again, but to help everything feel less washed out, I added a cute Merry Christmas banner that Target was carrying this year.
Our biggest change inside was moving the tree from the foyer to the front window in the living room. I bought new floral picks to use as the tree topper this year.
I got to go to the aquarium this month and do the penguin and sea otter experiences, so I picked up this ornament while I was there.